Facebook Ads by Wix | Campaign Rejections
Facebook is one of the best advertising platforms in the world. It's also one of the most complicated. To help our users with this important tool, Wix developers created a machine-learning algorithm that does the work for them.
I worked on this product for 2 years and was involved in every aspect of it, from the very first wireframe to the most recent feature release. This is just one example of the many product optimizations and new features we did during those 2 years.
Only Facebook can decide if a campaign meets their advertising policies. This means that users can go through our entire flow of creating a campaign, and then be rejected because the content of their campaign violates Facebook's rules. There are dozens of reasons a campaign might be rejected, so the original product only had a generic error message that asked the user to contact customer care.
After launch, we saw that 10% of all paused campaigns were from these rejections. Only 23% of those whose campaign was paused went on to resume their campaign. More importantly, users were understandably frustrated by this experience.
We mapped the top rejection reasons, and found that there were 10 common reasons that covered most cases. So, we decided to cover these 10 and add a generic "not approved" message.
To explain the issue, we had to take Facebook's lengthy explanation of why a campaign was rejected and explain it in 1 clear, concise sentence.
Showing this error notification meant that we were changing product logic, so we had to do a thorough mapping of all the current error states.
There was a 5% increase in the number of rejected campaigns who restarted and continued using Facebook Ads.
For a feature that is almost completely out of our control – and where some users may not even be able to restart their campaign – a 5% increase was a pretty big deal.
We also decreased our number of support tickets related to campaign rejection.
This entire feature was basically just content and messaging. I am most proud of how I was able to keep these errors as positive and actionable as possible. Rather than telling the user "Your ad contains..." or "Your ad can't run...", I focused on exactly what the user could do to get their campaign back up and running. In addition, to writing, I also:
Helped map all current error states and contributed to product decisions regarding new behaviors
Read as many of Facebook's help articles as possible to get a deep understanding of each rejection reason
Synthesized the research into 1 sentence per error
Mapped and edited KB articles with the new product logic
As always, I was also responsible for QA'ing the content, sending it to localization, and overseeing the resolution of issues (i.e., responsive buttons and size of modals) raised during the localization process.